Thursday, March 10, 2011

Philadelphia Half Marathon - November 2010

By the time I discovered this race, the Half Marathon was closed.  So, I decided to register with a charity - I really wanted in.  After doing a little research, I decided to run for Team TSA - Tourette Syndrome Association.  For this race, my mom came along with my two kids.  We loaded into the car and started the trek to Philadelphia.

DD, age 10

DS, age 6 (Despite this face, he did really want to come.)

Mom Mom
And we are on our way!



We made it to Philadelphia!

First stop after checking into the hotel was Packet Pick Up and the Expo at the Philadelphia Convention Center:




While Mommy shopped at the Expo, Mom Mom watched the kids have fun and play at the Kids' Center:


DS and DD made a "Go Mommy!" banner.

The night before the race, we attended a Team TSA dinner at an Italian restaurant.  DD and DS made new friends and learned more about Tourette Syndrome.  This adorable little blonde girl lives with it everyday.  It made us feel good to help someone like her out with our fundraising.


I woke up early and got ready for the race.  It was quite cold, so I wore CW-X compression tights.  I had read wonderful reviews about what they could do for knee pain and hoped for the best.  After all, I had never run a Half Marathon without excruciating knee pain.  The course was tough - especially around mile 10.  The hills near the Philadelphia Zoo were killer, so I had to walk a little.  However, the knees held up just fine.  I had little to no knee pain at all.  And yes, I do credit the tights.  What am I going to do when it gets hot out again?

My time for this race was 2:23:30 . . . my best yet!
I didn't train as hard as I should have and walked a few of the killer hills, so I know I can do even better.

I'm really loving this Half Marathon thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment