Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Long Beach Island 18 Miler - October 8, 2011

I signed up for this race as a training run for my upcoming Marine Corps Marathon (my first full since my 2005 Disney Debacle) - to make sure I actually did at least 18 miles.  It was a scheduled 20 mile weekend, so my plan was to run 2 miles before or after the race in order to not cheat my training.  I took the Cape May-Lewes Ferry to New Jersey and drove to LBI for packet pick-up.

While there, I met my good friend, Denise, from college and spent the pre-race night at her house in Seaside.  Yes, I said Seaside - a hop, skip, and a jump from the Jersey Shore House.  You are darn tootin' that I wasn't going to pass up on this opportunity!

Snooki I am not - but I was "home".  

So, for race day we had some crazy hot weather!  I did a slow to (a mile out and a mile back) before the race start. It was in the 80's, and there was no shade, as we were at the beach.  The race was brutal, and around mile 14,  I seriously questioned my sanity.  I didn't think I was going to make it, and I didn't know how I would ever get through my upcoming marathon.  I am, embarrassingly, including race photos.  It was so freakin' hot, and I look like death!

 

Anyway, the after party was great, but I didn't have time to eat - I had a ferry to catch or I'd have to drive an additional 3 hours!  I was able to take a shower at the sponsoring community center (didn't realize this beforehand), and I was on my way.  Just wish I had more time to spend with my pal, Denise!

I don't think I will be coming back to this one...but I should never say never!  I can be talked in to just about any race - and it's a training run for the New York Marathon (fingers crossed.)

1 comment:

  1. 80 - ouch, that is a hot race day. Glad you were able to suffer through it!

    ReplyDelete