Tuesday, April 26, 2011

REALLY NOT Ready for the Next Race

I know, I know . . . I've said it before.  I'm not ready for this race coming up (yadda, yadda, yadda), and I am under-prepared.  This time I really mean it, more than ever.  Since my last race (which seems like eons ago), I've been out of commission - LUCKY to get one or two runs in a week.  I have legit excuses and only alluded to them in past posts.  This time around, I had a "perfect storm" and training was truly derailed. 

I came home a day early from the National - guess I had a weird feeling.  Later the next day, my mom (going through chemo) went into septic shock and we almost lost her.  She was in the hospital for days.  My sister went in and out of the hospital TWICE since then for fatal cardio rhythms.  My daughter just had her tonsils and adenoids removed . . . and two tubes put in.  Picking up the slack while trying to keep my full-time job (LOL) has put running on the back burner.  

I did my only long run on Saturday . . . and I had to do it the Galloway.  It's amazing how taking a few weeks off starts you back at ground zero.  I did 9 miles, barely. I was fatigued, tired, exhausted . . . etc.  My pace was a good minute per mile slower than usual.  I planned on PR'ing at this weekend's Half Marathon.  That's NOT going to happen. In fact, if I run, I will probably just get mad at myself and feel embarrassed.  I'm not even sure if I should show up at the starting line.  I'm not ready to "race", but I am considering just calling it a slow, long run.  Not sure what to do . . . thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of really intense stuff going on and I hope everyone is doing okay.

    If you can show up at the starting line - it cannot be a failure. If you feel like mentally you can do it, just go and have fun. Enjoy the atmosphere, meet some new people and just soak it all in and get away from the other stresses for a while.

    Whatever you decide just make sure it's the right choice for where you are right now!

    ReplyDelete